Technology for transitioning to the new educational model
As more education leaders and innovators move toward competency-based learning, schools are beginning to adjust their approach to teaching and learning. Developing a CBE program includes defining the overall competencies/outcomes for a program of study, mapping competencies into a curriculum, creating appropriate assessments that allow students to demonstrate mastery of the topic, and assessing them accordingly, in a manner than can be translated by subsequent institutions they may apply to as well as giving students the tools and opportunity to progress at their own pace.
The flexibility of competency-based learning ensures that all students can succeed without time constraints. This can be difficult for faculty to manage, with so many different students progressing at different paces. To be successful at managing the nuances of each student’s competency level and goals, educators need support from a Student Information System that facilitates managing their workload.
The vision for Maestro SIS’s new Competency feature is to provide administrators, teachers, and counselors a comprehensive set of tools to make Competency-based learning a practical and scalable reality. Maestro’s NEW Competency feature has been designed in conjunction with educators, to enable them to:
- Import standards and define the desired level of competency for a course or a course of study, such as a major, minor, or high school diploma.
- Create outcomes
- Associate assignments to rubrics with specific outcomes and objectives.
- View student advancement toward mastery in real time.
- Give students differentiated support based on their individual learning needs.
- Improve student engagement with relevant material and particular career paths.
- Assign grades based on mastery level.
Other features which can support the ongoing evolution towards competency-based learning include:
- Grouping – to sort and manage students at a similar pace.
- Individualized Learning Plans
- Flexible assignment types & variable grading scales.
- Rolling enrollments management for students who wish to begin taking new courses as soon as they are ready, regardless of the position of the school calendar.
- Integration with LMS or multiple LMS’s simultaneously and seamlessly – to provide additional options beyond the classroom for students who excel.